Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I don't get it.

How do you change and grow as an individual when you are part of a couple?  Anyone?  I am trying to figure that out myself.

I am still fairly newly sober (163 days).  I feel like my life is a whirlwind right now.  I am dealing with adult problems like an actual adult instead of ignoring and getting high.  I am being laid off because of poor democrat turn out in the election (you know who you are buttheads!) and I am not in a panic.  I am trusting myself to look hard and have faith that the next right opportunity for me is out there.  Worrying about it won't change the fact I don't have a job.  However, if this was happening 150 days ago, I would have been FREAKING OUT!  That's what I did - worried... and avoided... and slept.  Now, I am focused and determined.  I can't explain it, but it is was it is.

Hopefully you understand some of the ways in which I am changing.  Now, add another person to the mix.  That person, in my case, is the love of my life.  The woman I married in front of family, friends and God.  We laugh.  We love music.  We love movies and TV.  We can finish each others' sentences.  She has always been the one in our relationship who is strong and dependable.  I have always been the one that does not put much thought into the next step.  That is changing.

The challenge:  Continue to grow and also be supportive of the sudden changes in your loved ones' life.  wow.  That makes my head hurt.  I get that it must involve both partners.  Communication is key.  What if that is not happening?  How do you start the conversation without forcing change upon the other person?  This is what I am struggling with.  I want to keep growing but I want my wife on this journey with me as well.  More importantly, I wish for her to find her bliss as I am trying to find mine.

I am trying to practice loving detachment.  I don't know if I am any good at it.  I guess time will tell.  Now, I must sleep because I will be laid off tomorrow.  My life is simply too glamorous for words my friends.

Now, for my Caribou wisdom: "Laugh so hard you cry."  One of my favorite things to do!

Two Leslie Nielsen clips that makes me laugh (RIP Lt. Frank Drebin):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhyCL-ELRxg&feature=related    
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMRo5XCKddQ&NR=1

No comments:

Post a Comment